Frank Bruno returning to boxing at the age of 54 would be a "travesty", says promoter Eddie Hearn.
Former world heavyweight champion Bruno says he would like to box again, but has battled with bipolar disorder since he was diagnosed in 2003.
David Haye, who is also a former heavyweight champion, says Bruno would need to face boxers of a similar age.
But Hearn said: "Frank is a national institution. He needs help and support, but not through returning to boxing."
Bruno, who has not fought since losing the WBC belt to Mike Tyson in 1996, said on Monday he wanted to return to the ring, but had been denied a licence by British boxing officials.
"He won the heavyweight world title. It would be a travesty to see him back in the ring," said Hearn.
"It's not the answer but I fully understand all the things that boxing can give him, and I hope he can find that through being involved in the sport, whether it's coaching, whether it's being an ambassador because he trains all the time and that's because he feels he needs to."